“Through spontaneity we are re-formed into ourselves. It creates an explosion that for the moment frees us from handed-down frames of reference, memory choked with old facts and information and undigested theories and techniques of other people’s findings. Spontaneity is the moment of personal freedom when we are faced with reality, and see it, explore it and act accordingly. In this reality the bits and pieces of ourselves function as an organic whole. It is the time of discovery, of experiencing, of creative expression.” – Viola Spolin
Since I want to enjoy motherhood and avoid the nuthouse, I need to find ways to keep spontaneity in my life. Here are some ideas so far:
1. The Crockpot: You start dinner in the morning so you don’t have to be home by 5 and come up with the ingredients and energy to make dinner. Here are a bunch of recipes but I really like just dumping in a bunch of meat, vegetables, and spices in and seeing what happens.
2. Try Minimalism: Get rid of clutter so you don’t spend so much time cleaning up junk that is just sucking the creative energy out of you.
3. Don’t be Awesome: If everything in your life has to be amazing/perfect/awesome it is going to be hard for you to break free when you need to. Mediocrity can be the path to delightful experiences.
4. UNplan your time: Don’t have every waking hour of your day mapped out with set activities. (Just thinking about that kind of schedule gives me heart palpitations!) Your kids can still have a cool life without playing 4 sports and 2 instruments.
5. Be present: Too much time worrying about the future puts your soul in a prison. Be fully in this moment and see the spontaneous opportunities around you.
6. Let go: of false ideas that mothers cannot be spontaneous and must stick to a strict schedule. It is more of a challenge than pre-children but not impossible.
7. Follow the Spirit: God has an exciting plan for you if you let go of the total-control mentality.
What are your ideas?