I have received a request to make a cheat sheet for using natural remedies to prevent and heal winter maladies. Part 1 will focus on foods for winter wellness. Part 2 will cover supplements and symptom specific remedies. Helping the family stay healthy is something that can help us enjoy motherhood more because being in lockdown all winter because of illness can make mama a little crazy!
Don’t eat sugar: It depresses the immune system and does 98 other bad things!
Bone broth soups– I make bone broth by putting bones in my crockpot, covering with water, and setting the timer on low for 12 hours. Cool, strain, and refrigerate. Here is how to make perpetual broth! Here is why homemade broth is so great.
Garlic– Raw works best. Mince and add to soup or salads. Here is more information about garlic’s health benefits.
Gelatin- Good for digestive system and easy to eat post stomach virus. There is gelatin in homemade bone broth as well! Read about its benefits in the bone broth article above.
Coconut milk and oil– Coconut contains anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. You can use the milk to make smoothies and curries. You can use the oil in cooking like you would olive oil or butter. Some people like to melt it into hot tea. More information about health benefits here. I buy Nutiva coconut oil here.
Fermented foods– Kombucha, sauerkraut, kefir, and yogurt. Foods with live cultures are a good source of probiotics (good bacteria) and enzymes. Store brands in our area are G.T.s kombucha and Bubbies sauerkraut and pickles. Kefir and yogurt need to say “live cultures” on the label. You can also make all these goodies at home for much cheaper. More info here.
Winter Wellness Soup:
Very free form. Make it how you like it and use what you have on hand. The most beneficial components are the broth, coconut oil, and raw garlic in my opinion so it is best to keep those things stocked.
- Start with sauteing onions/carrots/celery in coconut oil (or butter or olive oil)
- Add homemade bone broth.
- Add protein of choice (chicken, meat, lentils ect).
- Add any of the following: brown rice or other grain, noodles, fresh or frozen vegetables (cauliflower, cubed butternut squash, cubed potatoes).
- Simmer until cooked. Can add coconut milk or tomatoes/tomato sauce at this step.
- Turn on low and add herbs/spices/sea salt/ pepper and taste. Really spicy additions can help with congestion if you can handle it.
- If you have an immersion blender you can easily make blended soups. I make cream of broccoli that my kids love with broccoli, full fat coconut milk, and curry powder.
- Ladle soup into bowls and add raw garlic to each serving. Add additional coconut oil to each serving, if desired.
- Eat and feel happy.
Healthy Homemade Gelatin:
I got this from another mom online. Good for if you are having tummy troubles.
- 2 cups of juice (grape works well)
- 2 cups of water
- honey to taste, if desired
- 4 packets of plain gelatin (or 4 tablespoons)
Bring 2 c of juice plus 1 c of water to a boil. Add gelatin to cold water in a casserole dish and let dissolve for a minute. Combine all ingredients and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add fruit (like drained canned mandarins) during the boiling phase if desired. Refrigerate a few hours until firm.
Hope this helps you enjoy motherhood more! I can answer your questions in the comment section below.